Stop what you are doing and make this strawberry spinach salad with a tangy poppy seed dressing!
Okay, this salad is hands down my summer staple. It’s refreshing, vibrant, tangy, has a little crunch to it and – most importantly – it’s a salad people actually want to eat.
Whether you’re looking for a refreshing lunch or a salad to bring to a party, trust me when I say, this one will not let you down. A true crowd-pleaser.
The best part? It’s mayo-free! Instead, the dressing is made up of Dijon mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar, EVOO and, of course, poppy seeds. A sweet, tangy and completely irresistable combination.
Key ingredients of the strawberry spinach salad with poppy seed dressing:
- Candied pecans (are you drooling already?)
- Feta cheese
- Red onion
- Tangy poppy seed dressing
- The recipe calls for just enough dressing to serve 4-6 people. However, if you’re like me and will be making this more than once a week – double or triple it. Then, simply store the poppy seed dressing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Don’t like feta? Goat cheese and gorgonzola will make it extra decadent.
- Don’t skip the candied pecans! Toasting them will make them crisp and so much more flavorful. If you don’t feel like turning your oven on (I know that feeling too well), simply toast them in a pan. Avoiding sugar? Feel free to skip the maple syrup, but do still toast them.
- The taste of raw onions is too harsh for you? Soak them in water first. This will preserve their taste, but make them less strong.
- Want to make it a meal? This salad goes great with grilled chicken, steak, shrimp or quinoa!
Ok, ready? Cool. Let’s go!
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- 5-6 cups spinach leaves (lightly packed)
- ½ red onion
- ¼ cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1-2 cups strawberries (sliced)
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
Poppy seed dressing
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toss pecans with maple syrup.
- Bake for 10-15 mins. Keep an eye on them, they burn quick!
- Let cool.
Poppy seed dressing
- Whisk together Dijon mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and poppy seeds until combined well.
- Toss spinach, sliced strawberries, thinly sliced red onion, crumbled feta, and candied pecans in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss lightly to combine.