Your favorite comfort food with a twist – gluten-free, dairy-free banana bread.
Raise your hand if you’ve been baking during quarantine? No judgement here.
It’s no secret that banana bread was clearly having a moment during the pandemic. And, honestly, I’m not mad about it at all.
Not only is this baked good the ideal pandemic comfort food, but it’s also a great way to put your spotty, overripe bananas to use. So, once I realized I had overripe bananas, I knew it was time for me to jump on the banana bread bandwagon. But I did with a twist. More precisely – a gluten-free, dairy-free banana bread twist.
If you know me, you know I love recreating recipes into more wholesome, nutrient-filled versions. So, that’s exactly what I did with this banana bread recipe! No dairy. No gluten. Low sugar. Filled with healthy fats and fiber.
How did I do this? After tons of testing and tweaking, I came up with the perfect proportions and substitutions for the usual banana bread ingredients – butter and wheat flour. Instead, I used coconut oil and rolled oats.
Not to mention, this recipe can easily be added-sugar free. Just skip the maple syrup, it will still be naturally sweet from the bananas.
Hearty, comforting, subtly sweet and oh-so moist. You have to try it!
Psssst! No one will ever know it’s gluten-free and dairy-free…
Pro tips for the ultimate gluten-free, dairy-free banana bread:
- To decorate your wholesome banana bread, grab an additional banana, slice it in half horizontally and add it directly on top of the batter before baking.
- If you want it to be lighter, feel free to use 1 cup of oat flour. I have made this recipe with 1 cup, 1.5 cups, and 2 cups of oat flour and it always turns out great. However, do note that the less oat flour you use, the more likely the banana on top will sink while baking! I do recommend using at least 1.5 cups if you plan on adding an extra banana on top.
- Jazz things up by adding chocolate chips, berries or nuts to the batter.
Got overripe bananas? Let’s do this!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Banana Bread
- 2 bananas
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/5 cup oat flour (finely blended oats)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- If you don't have oat flour, blend your oats until they turn into a fine powder.
- Add oat flour, baking powder, and salt to the wet mixture.
- Add batter to coated loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 mins or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 mins and enjoy!